LTS Brewing Company of Rochester, Minnesota is a growing production craft brewery with on-site taproom sales and local distribution. LTS opened the doors to the public in August 2015 and has consistently sold the majority of production capacity through the taproom. With a recent expansion in fermentation capacity and a renewed focus on distribution and packaging, we are looking for a head brewer to join our team who shares our dedication, work ethic, and passion for craft beer.
LTS currently operates a 7 BBL two-vessel steam-fired brewhouse with approximately 1500 BBL/year production capacity. We have plans to add fermentation capacity to reach 2500+ BBL/year as our market develops.
Check out our website [http://www.ltsbrewing.com] for more information on our portfolio of beers, events, and our story.
The Head Brewer will be responsible for executing all aspects of beer production at LTS and will contribute to a healthy team culture by maintaining positive attitude, professionalism and company vision. The ideal candidate displays strong personal leadership skills, communicates effectively, goes above and beyond the duties assigned, and uses time efficiently to complete work in a timely manner to meet deadlines.
This position reports to the Vice President/Brewmaster.
- Brewhouse Operations: all responsibilities for wort production, including milling, mashing, lautering, boiling, whirlpooling, knock-out, grain-out, brewhouse vessel clean-in-place (CIP), and detailed record keeping
- Cellar-related Operations: all responsibilities for fermentation and conditioning management, including fermenter/brite beer tank (BBT) CIP & sanitation, monitoring fermentations, dry-hopping, yeast management, transfering beers between tanks, monitoring conditioning, and detailed record keeping
- Packaging Operations: kegging, keg washing, bottling, canning, cleaning packaging equipment
- General brewing equipment cleaning, maintenance and troubleshooting, including pumps, heat exchangers, filters, packaging lines, gas regulators, keg couplers, etc.
- Work with Brewmaster to keep brew schedule up-to-date and accurate; monitor production and sales to ensure continuous availability of flagships and timely release of seasonal beers
- Execute proper sampling and analysis of product in accordance with schedule; monitor vital fermentation critical control points including but not limited to target gravity, pH, temperatures and pressures
- Participate in and further develop quality control programs across the business with the goal of continuous improvement in product and process
- Compliance with and further development of standard operating procedures (SOPs), including adherence to all safety regulations and guidelines
- Work with the Brewmaster on new recipe formulation and development, including brewing pilot batches and testing results through the taproom
- Monitor and report inventories of beer and raw materials, including grain, hops, yeast and chemicals
- Train and oversee assistant brewers in various responsibilities as necessary
- Responsible for proper yeast handling, including but not limited to propagation, pitching, harvesting, aeration and CIP
- Assist taproom staff in maintaining proper draft line cleaning and maintenance
- Work closely and communicate effectively with supervisors, quality, and peer staff to execute and pass off tasks effectively
- Maintain a sanitary environment, which includes but not limited to cleaning floors, walls, tanks and ceilings
- Represent LTS at local & regional events and festivals; attend events and setup, serve, and tear down event equipment as needed
- Participate in onsite & offsite company events as needed while maintaining professional composure and representing LTS appropriately
- All other duties as requested by Brewmaster
Required Skills and Experience
- 2+ years experience brewing professionally in a craft brewery/brewpub – lead brewer experience preferred
- High School Diploma / GED
- A formal brewing education from an accredited brewing program preferred
- Willingness to work hard, often at odd hours
- Strong problem-solving and mechanical skills; high degree of attention to detail
- Knowledge of and adherence to workplace safety procedures
- Physically be able to bend over, twist, kneel, climb ladders, lift 55+ pounds, move 170+ pounds, frequently handle hot & cold liquids and hazardous chemicals
- Able to stand for long periods of time (up to 8-10 hours per day)
- Experience in yeast handling
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; proficiency in english language required
- 21 years of age, proof of authorization/eligibility to work in the United States
- Willingness to work weekends, holidays and overtime as needed – 45+ hours/week possible
- Positive attitude and a team player in all aspects of the job
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time hourly position. Compensation is dependent on experience and qualifications.
- Paid Vacation
- Based on experience and level
- Time off
- LTS Brewing time off policy, employees take time off as needed provided the needs of the business are covered
- Accrued Sick Leave
- Continuing education
- Assistance with The Healthcare Marketplace
- Possible Profit Sharing
- Optional IRA Contributions
- Matching contributions up to 3% of total compensation
- Branded swag
- Monthly beer or soda allowance
If you feel you meet all of the above requirements and are a serious candidate looking for long-term employment, please email your professional cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Additionally, LTS representatives will be attending the Craft Brewers Conference in Nashville, TN April 30th – May 4th. If you’re in Nashville and want to discuss this opportunity – send me an email at the address listed above.
Disclaimer: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. The company reserves the right to add to or revise an employee’s job duties at any time at its sole discretion. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.